Monday, February 27, 2006

I have selected a Lenten book to read, and I bought it before all the Catholic book recommendations came pouring in last week and this weekend. The title of the book is Free of Charge: Giving and Forgiving in a Culture Stripped of Grace by Miroslav Volf. The Archbishop of Canterbury has named it the Lenten book for 2006 and as it wasn't too expensive (not above $20) I bought it. I plan on finishing it by Easter Sunday.

I started a journal for my New Year's resolution, but as I have somewhat fallen out of that and only occassionally try to live out my resolutions (Ephesians 4:31-5:20) I have decided to use the rest of the notebook on my reflections of Volf's book.

Foreword:
"...God gives and loves by nature as surely as a duck quacks by nature - God's love isn't some kind of acquired skill" (10). [emphasis added by me].

I don't have to workd and endeavor for God's love. All I ever have to do is accept his Son's death on my behalf, in my place, and know (and live) to what He finds pure and pleasing. Like it says in Matthew 11:31-32, the yoke is light, barely at all to be considered a burden. It will lead me to the Light.

No comments: