Monday, September 21, 2009

Meal Fit For An Enemy

Write about what you would cook for an enemy.

http://www.creativewritingprompts.com/#


I enjoy cooking and try to show off some skill in the process. It’s not necessarily about flair and delicacy, but the pairing of flavors and finding different dishes and recipes. If I were to cook a meal for an enemy, I’d like to do a full meal: appetizer, main entrĂ©e, and dessert.

I’ve been wanting to perfect a dish using unsweetened dough for cream puffs, but instead of using the sweet cream filling, I want to find a way to create a fine, light olive paste. Or maybe blend cream cheese with some herbs: lavender and lime mix well. While these would usually be served chilled, but it would be neat and different to serve them warm.

The main dish should play on the flavors of the appetizer. So, the lime and lavender of the puffs could be balanced out with either something creamy or spicy. I would like to make a vegetable borscht goulash, but put in some spice. There are two ways I could do that: (a) mince a habanero pepper and put it into the dish to simmer or (b) cut the habanero into pieces but in such a way that I could fish them out later. However since I am cooking a meal for an enemy, I would do it the first way: mince the pepper and leave it in.

Dessert will not be cool to soothe now-burning palate of the diner. I love to go back to the original citrus flavors of the appetizer. Lemon-lime flavored meringues, key lime pie, or tangy plain yogurt with some fruit. How about, plain yogurt with lemon zest and blueberries.

1 comment:

Hidden One said...

The yogurt will soothe, a bit, because it's dairy.