Wednesday, May 5, 2010

New Directions

I have heard it said that you either everyone or no one.  Understandably, this comes from the presupposition that once one person is told they will then proceed to blab your confided secret to anyone else who is willing to listen.

Recently a friend retrospectively told me of how he was advised to not tell anyone of his discernment of the priesthood.  I can see why he was told that, but his family was supportive, he was grounded in what had discerned, &c.  Turn this around 180 degrees, and I could see how that would drastically backfire.  I have no family support; actually, I get the third degree every Sunday over what parish I attend for Mass.  While this is nothing new to me, and I’ve been able to carry myself pretty well over the past 4 years of discernment, I’m at a new point.

As you can see in the links at the top of the page, my vocation story says I was accepted to an order, but the explanation you are missing is that I had until June 1, 2010 to take care of my loans.  If it were just finances, maybe a little elbow grease would take care of it, but since God doesn’t function on elbow grease, but prayer and contemplation, that’s where we come to the point.  The point is, I got accepted to confirm my vocation, but I have to look at different communities/convents for my acceptance.

I can either tell everyone, or no one about my next step in this vocational process.  Aw heck, truth be told, I kept my discernment secret for the first year from everybody and it was pretty lonely.  Besides, people are curious (typically) because they care.

Time to end the hemming and hawing – I’m looking at Benedictine and Carmelite monasteries, and the Sisters of Our Lady of Mercy (from whence came St M. Faustina).  I cannot really visit any time soon since I’m more broke than Greece, but will gladly take suggestions and support.

3 comments:

Victoria Rose said...

Hurrah for you! Thanks for telling us.

I was looking at the DSMME too, but it didn't work out. I kind of have vocation discernment on the back burner right now. I'm just trying to get out of high school at the moment.

I'll have you know that I spent a good 1-2 hours last night reading your whole blog (I like reading other peoples vocation journeys). You should thank God every single day for giving you the grace to persevere in your faith and discernment. Not many people could face the opposition you face and still continue down the road to Christ. God bless you!

As for advise...keep trusting. Pray. Patience. Hope. Pray some more. ;)

You may want to look at the Carmelite Sisters of the Most Sacred Heart in Alhambra, CA. I used to live in CA and I visited them on several occasions. They are a beautiful order.

I'll be praying for you!

Your sister in Christ,
Vicki

Joe of St. Thérèse said...

I've found home with the Community of the Blessed Virgin Mary of Mercy (the Mercedarians)...(of course you know this)...They also have a group of sisters who are awesome as well. (Unfortunately, tney're in Philadelphia, PA)...next time I go, perhaps I can "drag" you to meet the sisters, hahaha.

But know that you're in my prayers my friend, and that money will eventually find its way to you in due time :)

Pax Vobis
me

Meg said...

@ Victoria - thanks! I've enjoyed looking at your blog as well - especially the Austen ball and the hairstyles =)

@Joe - you can drag me out of town - I don't like the state of affairs here in the City of Angels. I'm looking at a stricter set of communities like the Benedictines, Carmelites, & Passionists.