Friday, February 10, 2006

The best way to drive out the devil, if he will not yield to texts of Scripture, is to jeer and flout him, for he cannot bear scorn. -- Martin Luther

The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked. -- Sir Thomas More

Those two quotes are on the dedication page of my copy of C.S. Lewis' Screwtape Letters, and I like them quite a bit. It's what I often do, either in the silence of my mind, on-line, or out loud. I like saying to the demons and Devil that they're all a bunch of fools who aren't only decieving society at large, but also themselves. For we see God telling us in parables of the "wailing and gnashing of teeth" that will occur for those rejecting the Son. But can it not also invite the demon to attack you? At what point do we cross our Christian-warrior stance of being on guard and become paranoid?

I've experienced what I consider to be an attack because it does not meet any DSM IV criteria as some people have suggested. I can understand well why people need to label human experiences as normal or abnormal. But not all that we categorize as abnormal can be solely due to deviances in psychology or upbringing.

It has not been so long ago that I cannot remember the darkness, of the wild goose chase I willingly accepted. There is true Darkness to be experienced when you give yourself over to Satan as your new best friend. All the Lies become fact. The Evening becomes your friend, your cloak, your garment of choice. Your life as you knew it so distant you're not sure you even lived it, more distant than the nightmares of childhood.

They couldn't classify it. I didn't fit into the diagnostic criteria of anorexia nervosa, I also did not fit the criteria for depression. They were supposed to have taken into account the "cultural" aspects that includes religious affiliation or they could have looked at Adjustment. Back to the Lies and Darkness, at least there somebody understood just how much God hated me.

Only, Satan did not plan on my going to a funeral mass in August. He also did not plan on the Spirit's continual fight for me.

Stupid demon, do you really think that I would willingly go back to your Darkness now that I've had some fine months in the Light? You think you can fool me into fearing God, without realizing that it was your troublemaking?

Oh yes, I will deride you. I'll drag you out and about, so long as the Lord gives me charge to do so - so long as I live.

No comments: