Friday, September 8, 2006

VA Chapter 1 Reflection

As I embark on this journey of discernment, Sr. Kathy Bryant gave me some books to help me along the way. She has a great many suggestions along with reflection points in the chapters of her book that was her equivalency of a Master/PhD thesis.

Chapter 1

Names that I've been called thus far in my life: zuchinni, pumpkin, ducky, sis, student, transfer student, Hilary (Hilary Swank, there's a story attached to it), cult member, former cult member, cult walkaway, Catholic, agnostic, sister (familial), sister (cultic), daughter, friend, research assistant.

People of support: Xangians, Blogspotters, Sister's I've gotten Vision Guide responses from, Christie, Carrie

Escape: lay ministries, don't seek out God, put off prayer, don't ask for prayer (pride?)

First noticed the call: a small interest in the pecularities of religious orders, habits, initials, and titles. Picked up some information from seminarian at local parish before spring 2006 finals. People would call me "sister" in the cult and I'd respond, others (post cult) would ask if I was a nun or if I'd thought of being a nun. Others still suggested studying theology or a monastic lifestyle as beneficial. While in Italy wanted to ask every Sister I saw how she know that God wanted this life for her.

Personal faith history: Cradle catholic, but complacent until confirmation when I wanted to do more; turned to Bible study in high school and CSU Long Beach. Joined the Local Church, and then left it; became agnostic. Born again for a little more than a year now. I currently view Christ & God as my personal Lord and Saviour, Father, and Master.

People who are aware of my discernment: Christie, Carrie, Patrick Ku, Nicolas, Dan, Xanga, Blogspot, and Angie.

How I am looking around: Online with Vision Guide, Sr. Kathy's event list, discernment groups

Getting involved: Homeless Ministry

Bryant, Kathleen. (1996) Vocations Anonymous: A handbook for adults discerning preisthood and religious life. National Coalition for Church Vocations: Illinois.

No comments: