Monday, December 11, 2006

"To Serve Him in a Concrete Life"

A vocation, then, is nothing other than God's call to serve Him in a concrete state in life, and we can say that every person has his vocation - a concrete, personal path to reach God, very much his own and intransferable. By way of example your specific vocation is to be a Christian (many people are not Christians) in the world (many choose to be religious or priests) rooted in a particular soceity, with a specific profession (engineering instead of others) marked by and indissoluble reality (marriage to a particular woman) and given an apostolic dimension in a Movement called Regnum Christi (and not another). All of this makes up your vocation, very different to mine and very different also to your closest friends'.

You have to accepth your personal vocation fully in all its dimensions. It would be a deception to say: "I'll be a good husband" and "I won't bother about my faith"' or "I'll be a good career-man" and "I will not be faithful to my marriage"; or "I'll be a good husband and a good career man but I will forget about my Christian life and my commitment to God in the Movement". I would be like an engineer who took artihmetic but skipped trigonometry, and thought he was a good engineer.

To Serve Him in a Concrete State in Life
from teh letter of February 17, 1981

Fr. Marcial Maciel, LC

No comments: