Friday, February 23, 2007

Modest dress & Lust

If anyone has seen me on campus for the past two weeks, and many have, you've probably noticed that I am wearing skirts. I have now worn skirts each day of the week including weekends and the rain for the last two weeks.

I didn't understand my own behavior until yesterday, during the 3:30 pm downpour I covered my head with my scarf to "stay" dry. It was made clear to me that I am very aware of sexual sin, especially those sins where a man lusts after a woman, and just by thinking about her in lewd ways has committed adultery WITH her. As I was walking yesterday afternoon to class, I felt disgraceful and ashamed, becuase I know men look at me like that; I do not encourage it by not wearing makeup, low-cut tops, short skirts, &c. Yet, they still look. No matter how much I cover up my body, they look at me as skinny and pretty and they lust after me.

Isaiah 54:4, 9

Fear not, you shall not be put to shame;
you need not blush, for you shall not be disgraced.
The shame of your youth you shall forget,
the reproach of your widowhood no longer remember.

This is for me like the days of Noah,
when I swore that the waters of Noah
should never again deluge the earth;
So I have sworn not to be angry with you,
or to rebuke you.

No comments: