Friday, January 28, 2011

Recall the old adage of "tell no one or tell everyone"?  The internet has a way of telling everyone for you, whether you want that to be the case or not.
 
In my profile page on Facebook, Xanga, and here on Blogger, it's fairly well known that I've gone to school to get my Master, and if you read enough posts, that it's in Social Work.
 
Fairly early on in Xanga I was sent messagesby online & personal friends who knew I didn't mind honoring some requests for help; others would just message.  Now, I'm getting emails from one particular person, and I want to put it out there for everyone to see, for all to know.  Let us all be on the same page, cast out confusion.
 
If you contact me, I'll do what I can to help you out and find resources.  In short, I act like a case manager or on-call social worker.  If you call my cell phone (and miraculously get through despite the fact I don't have cellular signal at home) I'll spend time with you.  I can, and will counsel in an emergency, but you can expect me to start figuring out where you live and your current location - as I am not unacquainted with calling across county or state lines.
 
However, there are limits to this openess.  Last August I cut a friend off because he took the "I'll be there for you when you need it" and took it to mean that I would ssit on the phone and listen to him verbally abuse me during his drunken rages. That is not what is meant.  If you wonder where our friendship is now - it is no more.  "Nevermore" cried Poe's crow.
 
And if there's a wonder - I'm like every other staunch traditional Catholic: natural birth to natural death.
 
 

No comments: