Monday, January 31, 2011

Office Space

So, I handed over a very rough draft of NaNoWriMo 2009 over to my girlfriend so she can read & critique it.  I'm not interested in hearing about grammar and spelling errors at the moment, since so much of the actual story has to be re-written: strengthening characters, booting others out sooner (The challenge: I can't kill him this time!), re-work some of the subplots, and figure out the ending (I know, I should write with the end in mind.).  The plot is still the same, as is the premise - I just need to "play Operation with it" so to speak.  Gosh I hope that makes sense.

I'm in the process of rewriting the novel premise I started in 2008 and promptly ditched for NaNo 2009, and which became NaNo 2010 by default.  I added two additional opening chapters to this one, and so far, it cuts out the need for the original's first four chapters, which sounds bad.  However considering that 22 chapters in I wasn't even close to the climax of the original draft, I've got plenty of room in my playground.  I think I'm pacing things correctly in the timeline ... trying to keep it from going insane.

I'm working on finding a therapist, and I think I've narrowed it down to one.  Now all I need is the nerve to call and make my first appointment.  Just because it's my profession, doesn't make it any easier to make the calls or sit in waiting rooms.

Bought a bright orange flowering plant and stuck it in a lime green container.  I feel it's just snarky enough for the office.  Boss man made comments on how long I worked today: until 4pm.  I'm helping to keep his business open, but not sure how long I can hold the sarcasm back.

No comments: